Clogged drains in your home
When the drain is clogged in kitchen, it can be a catastrophe. Especially if it is mealtime, holiday cooking, or guests are coming. If you know what can cause a clogged drain, it can be an easy fix. There really isn’t a good time for a clogged drain.
So, how do you know if your drain is clogged? Here are some warning signs that you have a clogged drain before it becomes that catastrophe:
- Water Slow Draining: If the water isn’t draining as fast as normal, there is probably a clog forming somewhere in the plumbing system. Now is the time to remove the clog before it backs up in the sinks or tub.
- Foul Odors: When a sink, shower or tub has a less-than-pleasant odor, it is usually from a clogged drain. If the odor is coming from the kitchen sink, run water in the garbage disposal and let the disposal run, there may be some old food stuck in there that didn’t wash through. Add liquid dish soap or lemon juice to kill the odor. If this doesn’t get rid of the odor, you need more than basic clogged drain fix, call a professional plumber .
- Gurgling Sounds: If the drains are making a gurgling sound as liquid is poured in the drain, it is probably going around a clog, forming air bubbles below the clog, which are popping. The gurgling means there is some water still draining, but the clogged drain is forming.
- Food Particles After Dishwasher Runs: If there are food particles in the kitchen sink after the dishwasher has ran its course, there could be the garbage disposal is clogged or drain has clog is forming. Either way, you need a professional plumber to inspect your plumbing.
How do you clear a severely clogged drain?
A clogged plumbing is annoying, and they can become profoundly serious if not addressed. Clogged drains can cause pipes to bust, they lead to backups in the bathtub, shower, sink, or toilet. or bathtub. All things that you don’t need to backup, and you certainly don’t want busted pipes! Here we offer the most common methods that have been used by many homeowners with success:
- Baking Soda & Vinegar: Pour equal amounts of these 2 ingredients, allow to sit overnight then pour boiling hot water down the drain the next morning.
- Just Boiling Water: Often you can pour just boiling hot water down a clogged drain and it will bust up whatever is causing the clog.
- Chemicals: Yes, there are many chemical on the market designed for cleaning clogs. While these work, use with utmost care and caution. Plumbers typically warn not to use these because they can eat the pipes if used enough over time.
- Plumbers Snake: A plumber’s snake is a device you can purchase at any home improvement store. You insert into the clogged drain, then turn the device, and the wire attached grabs the clogging debris, you then pull the snake out and the throw the debris in the trash. You may need to do this 2 or 3 times if the clogged drain is compacted.
- A Plunger: There are sink plungers and toilet plungers, use the right one for the clogged drain you’re working. The plunger will suck the clogging matter up and out where you can throw it in the trash.
What do plumbers use to clean drains?
A professional plumber will have these 3 tools in their arsenal of plumbing weapons:
- DRAIN AUGERS OR PLUMBER SNAKE: This is a standard tool that plumbers use to clear clogged drains. It demolishes any obstruction in the pipes with a motorized drain auger, also known as a plumber’s snake. Plumbers use one that is more powerful and reaches further than the one you can buy at the local home improvement store.
- HYDRO-JET: Hydro-jet equipment will break through almost any clogged drain, and they do a comprehensive cleaning inside the drain. Hydro-Jet will remove any grease, mineral deposits, and soap scum by blasting a high-pressure of water at a high-temperature.
- VIDEO INSPECTION: This is a miniature video camera that is mounted on fiber-optic cable. This is placed into the clogged drain and sends pictures back to small TV-type screen, showing the plumber what and where the clogged drain is located. With this image, the plumber can decide on how to approach clearing the clogged drain or if sewer line repair is needed.
How do you unclog a main drain without a snake?
You can use the methods we listed earlier for a clogged drain cleaner, but if they aren’t working and you don’t have access to a plumbing snake, you can make your own drain snake by cutting a 2 liter bottle into a spiral. Attach the cut 2 liter bottle to the wire hanger and shove into the clogged drain, turning it as a plumber’s snake would do and pull out the clog. You can also use a shop vac or wet/dry vacuums and hold over the clogged drain opening and suck out the clog.
There is nothing more aggravating than a clogged drain kitchen sink, clogged shower, tub, or toilet. Taking the steps you can prevent the clogs is the best thing you can do, but if you do have a clogged drain, the steps we discussed here can be helpful. If not, call a plumber, the sooner the better. Need clogged drain repair in Oak Park, Il? Call 708-934-4115 today.